[OCLUG-devel] Single Element Structures

Doug Jolley ddjolley at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 11:17:43 PDT 2005

Hi --

I am a real newbie to C and in way over my head on a project that I'd really
like to get to work. I'm thinking that the thing to do may be to try to get
some help at the next OCLUG meeting; but, in the meantime I'm going to try
to muddle along as best I can.

To continue my muddling, I have encountered the following type definition:

typedef struct {
node* head;
} llist;

My question is: Why would anyone go to the trouble of defining a structure
with only one element in it? I thought the essence of structures was that
they contained a collection of dissimilar data elements. I'm sure the guy
that did this had a very good reason and I realize that I'm asking a
question without giving a lot of context; so, from what I've given there may
be no answer. Anyway, if an answer may be deduced from what I've given, I'd
love to hear it. Thanks for any input.

... doug