[OCLUG-devel] JDK1.5/Tomcat Error on Debian (Linspire 5.0)

John de la Garza john at jjdev.com
Tue Apr 11 09:45:41 PDT 2006

On 4/10/06, Tony Dycks <panfisher at earthlink.net> wrote:
>  After converting the Sun binary package to a Debian package using make-jpkg
> and installing all the appropriate Stable Debian packages for  a standalone
> Tomcat V4.1, I get the following error accessing the the tomcat testlink,
> http://localhost:8180/index.jsp ...
>

> Apache Tomcat/4.1
>  Any suggestions as to how to resolve?

Do you have a JDK available in the path for the instance of Tomcat?
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/var/lib/tomcat4/work/Standalone/localhost/_/index_jsp.java (No such
file or directory)

This file is the servlet that is supposed to get autogenerated from
your index.jsp

when you make a jsp it first gets converted into a servlet (.java)
then compiled into byte code (.class)

I dn't think you really need a package for tomcat.  If you go to the
tomcat site you can just download teh binary and it is very simple to
get up and running within seconds.

In many cases you simply untar it, cd into the dir, then the dir that
has some shell scripts
you can do a

find . -name start.sh

or even

find . -name '*.sh'

(from inside the dir that got created when you untarred)

there will be some .sh files

I forgot but I think it is somehting like
./catalina.sh start

if you do this and can't figure it out, post here the contents of the
dir with the .sh files and I'll remember then

I used to do this  stuff, but it's been awile

but like I said earlier, you will need a java compiler

from the shell you try typing 'java -version'

or

find / -name javac 2>/dev/null