[OCLUG-devel] Multi-processor hooks in kernel

Chris Carlson Chris.Carlson at wdc.com
Fri Jul 16 11:50:49 PDT 2010

I'm new to your group, but I'm not new to Linux (20 years).  I used to work
for Silicon Graphics, Inc., and I know that a lot of SGI features have been
added to Linux.

What I'm looking for is any information on multi-processing hooks in the
kernel; via syscalls or whatever.  In SGI IRIX, there were system calls that
could lock a processor to an application, synchronize processors on a single
task (usually a loop), identify one processor to handle all interrupts, etc.

Does anyone know if these features exist in Linux, and if they do, is there
documentation on their use?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Carlson
Western Digital Corporation