[OCLUG-devel] Memory Leaks

James Colannino james at colannino.org
Wed May 25 23:43:19 PDT 2005

Christopher Smith wrote:

> [...]
>
> There are, as always, exceptions. ;-) First, if there is a bug in the
> kernel, you could have a memory leak that won't get fixed until you
> reboot. Secondly, things like Sys V shared memory aren't owned by any
> one process, so the kernel can't know whether to free them if a
> particular process dies.
>
> Modern Operating Systems (now Distributed Operating Systems I think)
> by Tanenbaum (yes, *that* Tanenbaum) did a good job of explaining how
> operating systems do this.

That's interesting.  I sure have a lot to learn... :-P

James

--
My blog: http://www.crazydrclaw.com/
My homepage: http://james.colannino.org/

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free
state, THE RIGHT of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE
INFRINGED." --United States Constitution, Second Ammendment