[OCLUG] Re: [OCLUG-devel] Lexicographically Sorted

Chris Smith cbsmith at gmail.com
Thu May 26 13:13:18 PDT 2005

Hmm... somehow this ended up back on oclug, but I'll reply on oclug-devel.

On 5/26/05, Chris Berry <chris_berry-list-oclug at jm-associates.com> wrote:
> Ok, let me see if I've got this straight.  Lexicographic ordering is
> locale dependant as it would vary with the alphabet and conventions of
> the language.  In the specific case of US English Lexicographic ordering
> is the same as ASCIIbetical ordering, in other locales it's not.

Sounds like you got it about right. The specific aspect of the locale
that defines how things are ordered is called the "lexicon". Some
would argue that the US English lexicon would actually sort things
differently from the ASCIIbetical order, with things like case
insensitivity and some of the non-alphanumeric characters, but those
people tend to get ignored more than anything. ;-)

--
Chris