[OCLUG-devel] Runtime Libraries

James Colannino james at colannino.org
Sun Sep 11 15:54:38 PDT 2005

Doug Jolley wrote:

> So, I was looking at the crypt library function.  Looks pretty
> straight forward to me.  I didn't think that I was going to have any
> trouble.  Then, all of the sudden, I realized that crypt is a runtime
> library.  I've never written anything that used a runtime library.
> So, basically my question is:  Am I going to be able to handle this or
> am I in way over my head?  Is there some way I can statically link
> this so that it becomes something more familiar?
>
> Thanks for any input.

Doug, I might have my terminology mixed up, but I think that when you
compile something even as simple as hello world, at least on Linux (and
I'm sure most other *NIX variants), you're using a runtime library
(glibc on Linux.)  All you need to do is include the header file for
crypt and use the functions it provides and the compiler will take care
of dynamically linking the executable for you.  If you really want to
statically link it though, there's an option you can pass to gcc that
will do so (I'm not sure what that is though.  I'm sure someone else can
help with that :)

James